Just wanted to thank you Big Foot for my office relocation. The guys were terrific – efficient, courteous, prompt and stayed on budget. A number of our employees commented to me about how friendly and pleasant they were as well as how willing and accommodating they were to re-arrange items they had just positioned for us. I will recommend you to other City departments and to all my friends and family.
CITY OF WORCESTER, MA
Moving Day Countdown
EIGHT WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE:
- Obtain a floor plan of your new residence and decide what household items you want to keep.
- Solicit estimates from several moving companies. Focus your search NOT off the cheapest hourly labor rate, but rather on personal references, the Massachusetts DTE (licensing board for MA moving companies), the Better Business Bureau, company references, and your intuition.
- Contact your insurance agent, and ask them about your homeowner’s policy to determine whether your possessions are covered when moving.
- Establish a file for all moving papers and receipts.
- Arrange to transfer child(ren)’s school records.
- Select a moving company and confirm your moving date.
- Begin cleaning out your basement, attic, garage, and closets.
SIX WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Begin search for health-care professionals in your new location.
- Fill out post-office change of address cards.
- Send your new address to anyone that might need it — insurance agents, credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, friends, relatives, etc.
- Hold a moving/garage sale or donate items to charities.
- Obtain necessary moving supplies from Big Foot Moving & Storage: boxes, packing paper, moving tape, etc.
- Begin packing seldom used items such as china, holiday decorations, and storage areas.
FOUR WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Start packing!! Begin packing all but essential items.
- If your mover is doing the packing, arrange for it to be done one or two days before loading begins.
- Request proofs of insurance from companies you are considering. Doing business with an uninsured mover can leave you with unpaid damage claims, or the liability for property damage and or personal injury claims.
- Send furniture, drapes and carpets for repair or cleaning, as needed.
- Coordinate the disassembly of difficult items (assembled in the house furniture, jungle gyms, pool tables, and swing sets).
- Begin to use up overstocks of staple foods.
- Gather valuable personal papers that you may need at your destination location, including medical and dental records, school records, birth certificates, etc.
THREE WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Make arrangements for parking permits where applicable.
- Finalize closing times with real estate attorney or mortgage company
- Arrange to have utilities (gas, electric, phone, cable, water, etc.) disconnected in your present home, and connected at your new home.
- Prepare car registration and insurance records for transfer.
- Notify State Motor Vehicle Bureau of your new address.
- Arrange for child care on moving day.
- If necessary, reserve apartment elevator for pickup and/or delivery dates.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Arrange to move pets.
- Check with mover about moving house plants.
- Dispose of all items too dangerous to move, including flammable liquids.
- If necessary, have your automobile serviced and ready for the relocation.
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Confirm moving date and time with moving company.
- Provide moving company with new telephone number, cell number, and e-mail address.
- Change addresses for all bank accounts.
- Cancel newspaper delivery.
- Have enough medication to last at least two weeks. Have prescriptions forwarded to a pharmacy at your new destination.
- Make arrangements to pay for your move.
- Complete packing of all non essential items.
- Remove fragile and loose items from drawers.
TWO DAYS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Have mover pack your goods (unless doing it yourself).
- Consolidate clearly-labeled, fragile boxes in one area.
- Separate and label items not intended for transport by movers.
- Defrost and dry refrigerators and freezers to be moved.
- Set aside a box or suitcase of essential items (soap, towels, bowls, spoons, clothes, etc.)
- Set aside valuable items to carry with you including jewelry, vital documents, money and valuable small items.
- Clearly label all items NOT to be moved.
MOVING DAY / DELIVERY DAY
- Be on hand to answer questions and give directions to movers and stay until they are finished.
- Complete information on bill of lading and carefully read the document before you sign it.
- Supervise unloading and unpacking.
- Familiarize and discuss (with the driver) directions to your new residence.
- Notify the driver and the moving company where you can be reached during the move.
- Make sure you have your copies of the bill of lading and inventory.
- Before the movers leave, take one final look through the house to make certain that nothing has been left behind or needs to be rearranged.